Reading Response Ch 9
Reading Response Ch 9
- Understanding speech apprehension allows for one to be aware of their predicament and manage to conduct a speech presentation through the adoption of a program aimed at improving this ability
- Speech anxiety has been considered the number one fear of many people based on a study conducted in 1996 whereby 1000 people listed it under their worst fears
- Physical symptoms of nervousness include tightening muscles, butterflies in the stomach, increased heart rate and sweatiness, alertness and jumpiness and increase of saliva, which thickens the speech
- A research conducted by McCroskey determined that in the student population, 20% experience anxiety when speaking in public
- The primary method of reducing the intensity is acknowledging anxiety and overcoming this fear
The chapter provides a detailed account of speech apprehension and the manner in which an individual can acknowledge this fear and overcome it. The first part delves on the incidence of speech apprehension in the American public. According to research, most Americans fear giving a speech in public thus making it a concern that needs to be addressed. The author delves deeper in explaining how to detect symptoms of nervousness that are synonymous with speech anxiety. The information provided in this section is quite elaborate and educative as most people are usually not aware that they suffer from this fear.
The third part explains about the means through which reducing apprehension in communication can be achieved. The first method is acknowledging the fear and overcoming it in all situations. Secondly, the development of a positive attitude is essential in alleviating the anxiety and boosting esteem and confidence that enables on to face a multitude and deliver a speech or do a presentation. Thirdly, one needs to be thoroughly prepared for any presentation to avoid forgetting some points or failing to detail everything required.
The most significant part of the paper is when the author provides a detailed list of symptoms imperative in diagnosing speech apprehension and nervousness. This is primarily because most people are not aware of their fear until they get to the stage where they are presenting or giving a speech in front of a crowd and undergo a panic attack. This information is applicable in real life as it enables one to master speech apprehension, overcome it, and become better communicators and presenters.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies