Course Name & Number:
- Discussions on Mode 1 and Mode 2 knowledge production systems have increased, as different people debate the shift from mode 1 to mode 2 systems. Therefore, it is important to consider this shift when discussing whether social sciences have become more inclined towards their science or craft credentials. Knowledge is increasingly being produced with the aim of applying it in relevant sectors, but this does not mean that there is an end to new knowledge production. Both the science and craft credentials remain relevant in social sciences.
- Mode 2 knowledge production systems do not replace the knowledge systems in mode 1. They seek to supplement mode 1 by making them relevant. Science has evolved, and this has led to the development of strategic science. Strategic science leads to the production of knowledge that will be used to solve different practical problems, and it can be used to attain actionable knowledge in business school (Hessels and Lente 2007).
- I think that academicians have relevant and sufficient scientific credentials. However, there are constant changes in business, and this would require the academicians to move to the business community. This would enable them to acquire the knowledge they need to apply their skills and talents to the occurring changes. They would be in a better position to acquire new skills because of the knowledge they already have.
- Social science researchers need to have more knowledge and not just the scientific knowledge for them to be socially accountable. Without additional knowledge, they will not be in a position to apply their knowledge and determine the consequences of this knowledge.
- In developing their science credentials, social science researchers realize the importance of innovation as a way of raining their credentials. By not undervaluing their innovations, they will be in a better position to create innovations that are relevant to the business and the community (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business 2010). The researchers will create innovation that addresses the changing business needs.
Hessels, K. L, and Lente H, 2010, ‘The mixed blessings of mode 2 knowledge production’, Science, Technology & Innovation Studies, 6, 1, pp. 65-69
Hessels, K. L, and Lente H, 2007, Re-thinking new knowledge production: a literature review and a research agenda, viewed 21 May 2013, <http://www.geo.uu.nl/isu/pdf/isu0803.pdf>
Huff, SA, and Huff, OJ, 2001, ‘Re-focusing the business school agenda’, British Journal of Management, 12, Special Edition, pp. S49-S54
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, 2010, Business schools on an innovation mission, viewed 21 May 2013, <http://www.aacsb.edu/publications/researchreports/currentreports/business-schools-on-an-innovation-mission.pdf>
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies